Friday, July 25, 2008

TBF Tri 4 Real #2

Three of us represented FMRC at this past Sunday's TBF Tri 4 Real.Janine, Steve Sherman, and I battled the perfect weather, relativelyflat course, and great race organization to have a great time andtake home some schwag.My very talented wife, Janine, rocked the women's 40-44 age group to once again take home 1st place gold. Needless to say, with two 1stplace wins in the Tri 4 Real summer series, she stands an excellent chance of taking home the series prize. The last and final race is August 3rd.Steve came out for the first time to try his hand at the Rancho race. He raced to an impressive 8th AG and 52nd OA in his very competitve age group. He commented after the race that he particularly enjoyed the heat and dust during the second half of the run. I'm sure if he decided to come back in August, the conditions will meet his expectations even more. I had a mediocre swim, but was surprised to find I beat a friend from Masters, Dave Simons, out of the water and on to the bike. I was a bit dismayed when he went by me at mile 5, so I sucked it up and tried to stay with him. I kept about a 5 bike length gap with him until the turn around at mile 12, and then he disappeared. I hoped he had been abducted by aliens, but no such luck as I saw his bike in T2. Trying to stay with him did allow me to set a new PR on the bike, so not all was lost. I chased on the run and pulled backsome of his time coming in about 45 seconds behind him good for 4thAG and 11 OA.I thought as I got older my competition would either 1)get slower 2)quit triathlon to play more golf or 3) die off, but it seems they are just getting faster. The overall winner for the men was John Murphy from San Francisco with a time of 2:01. If he shows up next month, I'm thinking I'm going to have to call up Tonya Harding and see if her ex-husband can help me out otherwise I'm going to have to consider some doping.

No comments: